So I was just made aware that it’s almost the end of January and I haven’t posted my Top 10 Favorite films of 2019 (like every other blogger, critic, publication SMH). So without further ado, here goes:
Top 10 Movies:
- Parasite – Hands down favorite movie of the year…must watch!
- La Belle Epoque – A sentimental, French rom-com…loved it!
- Jojo Rabbit – This satire was different and engaging…Taika Waititi is amazing!
- Knives Out – A fun little whodunit murder mystery…great ensemble cast!
- Marriage Story – Raw and powerful look at everyday life and reality…
- 1917 – I love a good war movie, this one fit the bill…
- I Lost My Body – A surprising French animated film…throughly enjoyed it!
- Avengers: Endgame – I love my Marvel movies!
- Bite Me – An unexpected, hidden gem I found on Seed & Spark…not your typical vampire movie…
- Dolemite Is My Name – Didn’t think I’d like this one as much as I did…a fun time!
Uncut Gems – An unexpectedly good Adam Sandler performance…throughrouly enjoyed
Midsommar – Beautifully shot film about Swedish cult-like practices
Queen & Slim – A moving film about black love and today’s racial tensions
Plus One – Lighthearted fun
Booksmart – The female “Super Bad”…
The Irishman – Scorsese, DeNiro, Pesci, Pacino…what more could you ask for?!
Spider-Man: Far From Home – I love my superhero movies!
Once Upon a Time…In Hollywood – All-star cast + Quentin Tarantino dialogue & direction = great film
Us – Another Jordan Peele psychological thriller…
Favorite 2019 Documentaries:
The Cave – About the Syrian crisis and those staying behind to help
American Factory – About cultural differences and the takeover of an American factory by new Chinese management
There was a lot of great TV put out in 2019 as well…“Catch-22” A WWII satire…right up my alley…, “Fleabag,” “Chernobyl,” “When They See Us,” “Stranger Things,” Killing Eve,” “The Crown,” “Sex Education,” “Mindhunter,” The Boys,” “Schitt$ Creek,”“Ramy,” “What We Do in the Shadows,””Dark,” “You” and “Dear White People”and those are just the ones I’ve seen.
2019 Films I Still Need to Watch:
Pain & Glory
A Hidden Life
The Last Black Man in San Francisco
One Child Nation
What was your favorite film of 2019???