These past couple of weeks have been quite the whirlwind…between my “9-to-5” and the film festivals and doing interviews for this site and WLE — its been a lot (check out my review for Netflix’s new “Emily in Paris” series). And AFI Film Festival kicks off next week so the show must go on! I’ve got a few interviews with the actresses from “A Good Man,” the director and star of “Charm City Kings” and the director of and subjects of “Time” in the works so stay tuned! In the meantime, here’s what’s been happening this week…
What’s the word on the street?!
- Gemma Chan and Kiki Lane join Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde in “Don’t Worry Darling” — this is a pretty solid cast…should be interesting
- “Jurassic World: Dominion” production shuts down after a positive coronavirus test — looks like we may be jumping the gun a little bit…the Jurassic Park franchise should probably stop anyway…IJS
- Robbie Amell (Amazon’s “Upload” & “The Babysitter” franchise), Hannah John-Kamen (“Brave New World”), Kaya Scodelario (“Crawl”) and Tom Hopper (“The Umbrella Academy”) set to star in new “Resident Evil” origin movie — I am usually not a fan of franchises that go beyond the 3rd film (sometimes even the 2nd) after a while, things just feel forced…but this I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed the recent work of all of these actors (and it was in movies/series that I didn’t think I’d like, but thoroughly enjoyed for what they were)
- German producers challenged Netflix on copyright and rights issues during a Filmfest Hamburg event — the entertainment attorney in me gets a kick out of things like this…
- The Academy has expanded its eligibility rules to allow drive-ins and films intended for theatrical release that debut on streaming platforms eligible if made available on Academy Screening Room within timeline.
- Just when I started getting excited about “Dune,” its release date has been postponed until 2021…
What We’re Looking Forward to Seeing…
“Mank” – Coming to Netflix Dec. 4th — as huge fan of Classic Hollywood, this should be good
“Selena: The Series” — Coming to Netflix in December (my sister is a huge Selena fan so I’m sure she’ll be tuning in…)
“355” — In theatre January 15 (bad ass female agents from around the world — this should be good!)
“Promising Young Woman” — In theaters December 25th
“The Witches” — HBO Max October 22 (I’ve never seen the original so I’m going into this one fresh lol)
What’s in the Spotlight this Week?!
“The Forty-Year-Old Version” dropped on Netflix today…and it lives up to the hype — its fun, thought-provoking, beautifully shot and a tad sexy…definitely worth the watch so check it out!
Also check out the works of some up-and-coming filmmakers — support the arts…support creatives…do dope shit! (And Ghetto Film School is dope!)